$28 to $38 Per Hour
Histology Technician - Pathology opening!
Location: Elmira, NY
- Maintains areas of responsibility in accordance with the standards established by external, licensing, accreditation, regulatory and auditing entities and is ready for unannounced inspections by other employees as well as state and/or federal regulatory agencies.
- Adheres to established Laboratory policies and procedures through all phases testing including but not limited to specimen handling, test analyses, quality control polices, instrument and procedural calibrations, instrument and equipment maintenance , and other quality assurance activities.
- Is responsible for attending all annual mandatory educational programs and maintaining compliance with Occupational Medicine policies (i.e., PPD testing and Influenza vaccination). Participates in and documents a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education annually. Maintains competency for all laboratory testing performed in assigned areas.
- Maintains a courteous and helpful rapport when dealing with patients, physicians, nurses, supervisors, visitors, coworkers and other employees. In patient relations, maintains respect for the individual and provides age appropriate care. Communicates in a friendly and effective manner.
- Is familiar with and adheres to all policies and procedures related to the position including but not limited to Corporate Compliance, Safety, Infection Prevention, and Human Resources.
- Is capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the Supervisor, Medical Director, and/or System Director of Laboratory Services. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Properly receives and accessions anatomic pathology specimens.
- Dictates the gross description of the specimen using department-approved formats.
- Recognizes and brings to the attention of the supervising pathologist any unexpected morphologic changes or any concerns relating to the prosection of the specimen.
- Selects and submits tissue for processing and further review by the pathologist.
- Follows up on any discrepancies in documentation and/or specimen(s) submitted.
- Is responsible for the proper and continuous identification of specimens, the archiving of blocks and slides, and retrieval (as requested) of blocks and slides.
- Embeds, cuts, stains and coverslips tissues as per histological standards.
- Processes, stains, and coverslips non-Gynecological specimens as per cytological standards.
- Appropriately documents all required Quality Control, quality assurance and department specific information as required.
- Assists with frozen sections/fresh specimens as directed by a Pathologist.
- Performs special and immunohistochemical stains as ordered by a pathologist.
- Has a working knowledge of the hospital and pathology computer system.
- Has a working knowledge of equipment operated in the Section and is competent to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Performs and documents preventative maintenance and troubleshooting of instruments and equipment as needed.
- Performs tasks associated with hazardous chemicals, including xylene and formalin, utilizing hoods and other engineering controls in order to minimize exposure.
- Disposes of all biohazardous material according to SOP.
- Assists with inventory and supply ordering activities.
- Participates in educational tours and training of students as directed.
- Assists the department supervisor with tasks such as the procedure manual, validation of new processes/reagents, quality improvement, or other duties as deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
- Participates in the training of new employees within the Section.
- Is responsible for attending all annual mandatory educational programs as required by position.
- Employee understands and demonstrates the importance of satisfying the needs of the customer/patient by interacting with him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to the customer’s needs, both psychologically and physically, and by taking the initiative to maintain communication with the customer in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience.
- It is understood that this job description lists typical duties for the position and is not to be considered inclusive of all duties that may be assigned.
At a minimum, an associate’s or higher degree from a program registered by the NYSDOE as licensure qualifying at the time of graduation or a program determined by the NYSDOE to be a substantial equivalent of a registered program for Clinical Laboratory Technology practitioners (to include clinical laboratory technologist, cytotechnologist, certified clinical laboratory technician or certified histological technician).
Physical effort required. Moderate to heavy lifting required, often without assistance of other staff members. Moderate reaching. Occasional prolonged standing and walking. Typical clinical laboratory environment.
Category I. Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues.
30 minutes to Watkins Glen – south end of Seneca Lake
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media