Do you have experience working on a vegetable farm? Do you have solid leadership experience? Do you want to join a very successful family owned farming operation that is " an essential business?" If you can answer "yes" to these questions, you should consider this opportunity.
Our client is a potato farming operation focused on continuously improving the quality and quantity of its products that are delivered to its customers. Our client has been a family farm for over 70 years with farms in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and South America. Our client incorporates state-of-the art processes and technology with a modern fleet of equipment.
As Farm Manager you will be responsible for the general supervision of all farming operations of up to 2500 acres, including planting, growing, and harvesting a potato crop. This will be a dual role of operations management and continuous improvement of operational structure and development. Responsibilities will also include training personnel, managing/planning daily operations and budget development/execution. You will have some responsibility for farm operations in Howe, IN and may provide support farms in other locations. This is a very hands-on role including field engagement. You will manage a team of up to 50 employees, both full time and seasonal.
As Farm Manager you will:
- Plan and schedule resources, employees, and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting
- Ensure the effective management of multiple farm locations
- Implement crop plans and strategies
- Ensure maintenance of cost effective and high-standard production
- Estimate production costs and determine the high quality standards
- Monitor the schedule and set labor schedules as required
- Provide necessary training
- Make decisions regarding the operating unit's layout, size, and range of service or design and arrangement of the work process
- Select and maintain equipment, supervising product standards and enforcing quality control programs
- Work with managers effectively to execute the policies and goals of the organization
- Keep abreast of health, safety strategies and adhering to GAP policies
- Supervise and inspire a team of workers and review the work performance of your team
Your background should include:
- Bachelor's degree preferred. Associates degree will be considered
- 7-10 years of Farming experience which may be growing up on farm or working on a farm during your career
- Experience with a vegetable farm
- Experience supervising a team of at least 50 employees
- Experience managing a budget
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to travel to other locations when needed
- Must be willing to work very long hours during planting, growing, and harvesting
Prefer local candidates, but will consider assisting with relocation.
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media