Clinical Veterinarian- R&D/Industry, Not private practice
Clinical Veterinarian- NHP focus
This position provides critical veterinary care of non-human primates used for research and breeding at a CDC quarantine facility. This role will have primary duties to include performance of specialized work related to the health, care, and management of non-human primates. This position requires clinical and surgical veterinary skills, the ability to maintain clinical records and databases, strong organizational skills, and interest in working in a high paced environment.
This position must ensure the optimal veterinary health care of nonhuman primates (NHP) and ensure the support of the breeding programs
Ensure the facility is in compliance with federal regulations of the USDA, DEA, NIH and AAALAC.
Support the health of the breeding colonies.
- Perform preventative medicine including but not limited to: quarantine procedures, dental procedures, review of health records and physiological blood data values of colony animals, review of and modification of clinical treatment.
- Develop and implement plans for preventative medicine including review of present preventative plans and modification of preventative plans or protocols based on clinical successful/non-successful clinical outcomes.
- Participate in animal health maintenance including: surveillance of colony animal health in conjunction with with other veterinary clinical staff and colony staff, infectious disease testing, routine physical exams and bio-sample analysis for colony animals, dental health examination.
- Provide care to sick or injured animals including provision of follow-up care and release from clinical treatment.
- Keep continuous surveillance for clinical signs of disease or injury
- Perform radiology, ultrasound, and surgical procedures
- Provide care for pregnant and neonatal NHPs
- Determine and direct use of anesthetic and analgesic agents
- Perform sedation and anesthesia with controlled drugs
- Provide guidance to surgical support staff on instrumentation, sanitation practices, and surgical suit maintenance.
- Provide patient per-operative anesthesia and monitoring as needed
- Provide and oversee post-operative intensive care, including the use of sedatives, analgesics, and antiboiotics
- Stay current on all required training
- Maintain compliance with all USDA, PHS, AAALAC, policies and procedures
- Provide direct monitoring of clinical cases.
- Provide supervision of veterinary clinical staff members as needed
- DVM/VMD degree from an AVMA-accredited veterinary school and a minimum of 1 year of experience in Laboratory Animal Medicine
- USDA accreditation within 6 months of employment required
- Ability to obtain DEA registration
- Veterinary clinical skills with a variety of animals. NHP experience is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of Programs.
- Experience conducting research in a USDA or FDA regulated environment preferred.
- Current and relevant working knowledge of regulations governing the use of animals in teaching and research (e.g., USDA, PHS, AAALAC) preferred.
- Clinical proficiency with nonhuman primates and a high level of technical skills specific to primates
- Board Certification in Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM)
- Experience with hands-on technical training
- Supervisory experience
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media