Corporate Controller - Pharmaceuticals
The Corporate Controller will report to the Vice President of Finance and will implement policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate. He or she will be accountable for producing internal financial reports, maintaining an adequate system of accounting records and internal controls, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with GAAP. He or she will also recommend cost reduction and profit improvements.
- Direct the activities of all internal accounting activities of the Company, including general ledger accounting, and financial reporting. Establish and maintain internal controls.
- Prepare monthly internal financial reporting package
- Reconcile key balance sheet accounts (Cash, Accounts Payable, Accrued Expenses, Fixed Assets) on a monthly basis; record adjustments as necessary
- Account for capital assets, maintenance and company-operating budgets and check appropriation requests against approved budgets to assure availability of funds and proper authorization.
- Direct and participate in the preparation of monthly and year-end financial statements and reporting packages.
- Assure the maintenance of accounting services and records to provide accurate information for the effective operation of the Company.
- Maintain the Company’s chart of accounts. Assign new classifications and cost stations as necessary. Assure the correct and accurate accounting classification of all expenditures and documents including capital expenditures.
- Assure proper control over cash management and develop cash flow projections on a monthly basis.
- Recommend, develop and conduct special ad hoc projects that will assist in enhancing the profitability of the Company.
- Draft accounting memos documenting the Company's position on accounting issues using research tools and technical accounting guidance
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit and quarterly reviews
- Should the company become a public company, take responsibility for the SEC reporting process, including 10-K's, 10-Q's, 8-K's and all relevant reporting including footnote disclosures, MD&A and Press Release related to financial position
- Manage the SOX compliance program including internal controls testing, process and controls implementation, and external audit process management
- Act as immediate contact with the Company's outside accountants on accounting matters.
- Maintain custody of cash funds and securities
- BS in Accounting, Finance or Economics
- MBA and/or CPA/CMA is highly desirable
- 10+ years experience in accounting and finance
- 4+ years in a position equivalent to a controller or higher responsibilities
- Prior successful industry experience with a development-stage biopharmaceutical company
- Familiarity with equity accounting & the latest proclamations
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Experience managing a small staff in a fast paced hands on environment with a can do attitude
- Public accounting experience and experience taking a company public is strongly preferred
- Results driven with an entrepreneurial mindset and ready to become an integral part of a dynamic, fast-moving team working to save lives
- Able to deal with pressures and timelines inherent in a small company
- Decisive and able to take action after considering alternatives, data and risks
- Strong time management and project management skills causing timely submission of all regulatory filings
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to ensure positive team relationships
- Ability to work independently to drive programs through to completion.
- Mature and self-assured person but a team player who will work well with all other functional areas and develop a cohesive relationship among the team.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a client service worthy, consultative manner
- Exceptional computer skills in the operation and functioning of all programs used by the organization, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Understanding, yet persuasive and decisive when dealing with others in the organization
- Responsive team player with ability to quickly re-prioritize among numerous pressing tasks; ability to think on your feet and take charge; sense of urgency
- Understanding of accruals for Human Resources transactions
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media