RN - VP, Surgical Services
$125000 to $200000 Per Year
Vice President, Surgical Services - Asheville, NC
Shift: Full-Time, No Weekends
This hospital is a 815-bed healthcare facility located in Asheville, North Carolina. The hospital is known for being the region's only Level II trauma center, as well as being home to the only children's hospital in the western portion of the state.
The facility offers a variety of services, including women's services, sports medicine, and neurological care. The hospital's cardiovascular services include the only open heart and interventional cardiology in the region. The quality of the facility's services has earned much recognition, such as being named among the nation's best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, Truven Health Analytics, and Health grades.
The Vice President of Surgical Services is responsible for the growth and operational initiatives of perioperative services. This position focuses on development, implementation, and administration of patient care services within the departments. The vice president participates in strategic planning, financial forecasting, recruitment and retention initiatives, and other aspects of patient care delivery at the direction of the VP of Operations. The individual manages the financial and capital budgets to ensure services meet established quality standards and develops solutions and action plans to address any efficiency, quality and cost issues. Embrace and consistently demonstrate the hospital's initiatives, encompassing both patients and employees.
- Scanning the competitive environment, leading business planning process and providing strategies to drive profitable service line growth while reducing costs per case.
• Partnering closely with senior executives, sales and marketing executives and service line management to enable growth strategies.
• Developing business case, including financials, for new program development and capital projects.
• Identifying and driving new physician and volume opportunities for the hospital ensuring alignment with clinical leaders.
• Working together with marketing and physician relations executives to promote the services to physicians and consumers.
• Collaborating with physicians to develop and foster positive working relationships.
Increases Operational Efficiency by:
• Monitoring key operational and financial metrics for improvement opportunities.
• Driving process improvement within the service line to increase employee engagement and physicians satisfaction.
• Enabling finding solutions to problems that get in the way of differentiated service.
• Working with hospital administrative team and department director(s) for program development, implementation, execution monitoring and evaluation of services at the hospital.
• Ensuring physician and professional staff have the necessary equipment to perform.
• Participating in hospital annual budgeting process related to service line.
• Engaging with national, division and facility service lines leaders to obtain and share best practices in service line.
• Supporting the recruitment process to secure staffing talent.
Improves Clinical Outcomes by:
• Supporting a positive patient experience by providing optimal cost effective delivery of services by physicians and professional staff within a safe department
• Ensuring that oversight, processes and resources are in place to improve clinical outcomes
• Enabling clinical excellence by aligning goals with the clinical leaders and removing barriers for clinical practice as needed
• Communicating to clinical leaders any matters that can affect the clinical operations and deferring clinical judgments to those leaders
• Participating in rounding with patients and meeting with physicians and staff to ensure a high quality patient experience
• Collaborating with the facility surgical procedure schedulers focusing on accurate data collection and customer service to increase the surgical volume
- Current licensure in the State of North Carolina as a Registered Nurse, or current active multistate Registered Nurse license.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor Science in Nursing or Bachelors degree in health related field required.
- Masters in nursing or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive management in operations, specifically perioperative service line. Strong financial analysis, human resources experience and regulatory compliance experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge operations of perioperative & hospital service lines, and the practice of nursing process.
Success in growth strategy in service lines—formulating a long-term strategy and plan execution.
Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of hospital regulatory compliance, i.e. TJC standards, CMS Conditions of Participation, AORN and ASPAN standards, AAMI etc.
Outstanding ability to communicate verbally to a wide array of people/disciplines.
Aware of industry standard changes and developments and plans for changes as needed
Vacant since 4/29/21
Reason for vacancy: retirement
Beautiful facility - brand new state-of-the art hospital opened October 2019
Seeking candidates with strong leadership experience. Must have recent acute care hospital experience in a large facility or multi-facility campus.
Excellent communication skills required - must be able to build strong physician relationships.
Individual must be able to proceeds on his/her own initiative, in compliance with the philosophy, policies, procedures and practices of the Hospital. Collaborates/coordinates with the Vice President of Operations, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Nursing Officer
Approx. 40K surgeries annually
815 Beds / 41 total OR's:
39 over main OR, pre/post pacu, ASC (12 OR's, 9 OR's 3 procedural rooms), SPD, endo. ASC is down the street
CVOR and Women's OR
Culture: facility now unionized. A lot of practices would have to be bargained for, working thru the union. A challenge - strong leadership to make everyone feel like one big team,
Physician engagement – lot of opportunity, pretty engaged staff, CMO very engaged
Huge pacu and endo,
Needs strong leadership to work on turnovers. Good anesthesia support (Anesthesia staff are employed by the hospital, and surgeons are pretty easy to work with.
Regular director positions over cost centers; managers are in those departments as well.
Service Lines Available:
Robotics – Busy area. Four XI robots, busy place, team is very supportive of bringing robots on - Mako robot as well
Compensation: Max approx. $200k, up to 15% annual performance incentive but has 150 multiplier making comp up to approx. 22k at this time.
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media