Safety & Health Director- General Contractor
$80000 to $100000 Per Year
This General Contractor is seeking a Construction Safety Director with at least 7 years of commercial construction Safety experience. The EH&S Director will work primarily on negotiated commercial projects within their core markets: commercial high-rise hospitality, healthcare, multifamily and corporate/commercial office structures. The Safety Director will work closely with ownership, executives and company staff to ensure the highest level of safe work practices.
They know their people make the biggest difference in a company and make it run successfully, so they take care of their work family. Work-Life balance is just as important as professional growth and satisfaction with all levels of employees, regardless of position or responsibilities.
Their company serves commercial, multifamily and light industrial clients in a number of different industry segments with their most trusted development projects. They have over 3 decades of history in delivering excellence to our clients in the Memphis Tn community. The company is roughly $80+M annually in volume and has a complement of 50+ employees based in the West Tn area.
- The Safety Director will be based in Memphis, TN & will be responsible for establishing, monitoring and enforcing a companywide safety plan for all current projects.
- The Safety Director is to ensure all OSHA, federal, local and project specifications are met to keep an accident-free work environment on every project for all workers, subcontractors and non-construction personnel.
- The Safety Director directly reports to the President and communicates with Management on all safety matters for each job site.
- The Safety Director will coordinate daily safety planning with each individual project through Safety Engineers Team, and with close communication with the Project Managers and Superintendents.
• Implements and enforces the Corporate Health and Safety Program. Initiates and communicates updates to the program as needed.
• Ensures that all subcontractors and suppliers are informed of and comply with the contractual environmental, health, and safety requirements.
• Coordinates between safety engineers and subcontractors to ensure proper safety procedures are being carried out.
• Conducts regular site visits, inspects and audits working conditions, safety equipment and machinery on each jobsite.
• Studies audit reports for non-compliance and leading indicators to develop preventative measures and focused safety audits conducive to proactive safety strategies
• Implements and reviews Construction Work Plans and any and all specification pertaining to the project in relations to OSHA rules and regulations and job specifications.
• Prepares and maintains all OSHA logs and acts as the point of contact for all OSHA interactions.
• Conducts onsite safety training for all workers when needed.
• Establishes accident prevention and control strategies for each work location - recommend procedural, design and operational improvements to minimize/avoid potential hazards.
• Investigates accidents, near misses; issues a root cause analysis report and develops an action plan to avoid future similar incidents.
• Ensures all required records and reports are complete, accurate and submitted per protocol and implements appropriate corrective actions as required through safety engineers.
• Interfaces with and maintains insurance industry relationships
• Identifies and analyzes operational risk for impact to corporation including frequency, trends and severity
• Provides safety mentorship to all field personnel, especially to less experienced ones. Education, Experience, Abilities
• B.S. in Occupational Health and Safety or similar discipline required
• Minimum 10 years in the construction industry
• Must have 5+ years prior safety leadership experience
• Must be well versed in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements
• Must have OSHA 500 Out Reach Trainer Course, 10hr/30hr Trainer
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent computer and technology skills
• Experience with Predictive Solutions a plus
• Previous experience with risk management and interfacing directly with insurance companies preferred
Physical Requirements of the Position:
• Lifting/carrying: Carrying light loads related to field measurement equipment, equipment cases weighing 15 lbs. or less.
• Dexterity: Ability to type using a keyboard with relative efficiency, ability to make handwritten notes and sketches indoors and outdoors at industrial plant and construction sites at any time of the year.
• Walking/Climbing: Ability to use multi-level stair towers and rung ladders unassisted.
• Visual Acuity: Ability to discern single line and 3-dimensional computer images representing objects being designed or drafted.
• Hearing: Ability to hear safety alarms and signals while wearing hearing protection.
• Physical exertion: Ability to walk up to one mile on industrial plant and construction sites outdoors at any time of the year. Ability to work in protective clothing which may elevate body temperatures by several degrees Fahrenheit for periods of up to 15 minutes without a break.Apply Online
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media