Manage the customer relations, purchasing, and financial management functions related to assigned product category in order to achieve maximum profits and customer satisfaction. Coordinate the buying, selling, and merchandising efforts of the vendor and distributor, resulting in satisfied customers, profitable sales and above average in-stock percentages, inventory turns, and days accounts payable outstanding. Interfaces with customers, vendors, management, warehouse personnel, and the Accounting, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Transportation, Information Services, Inbound Freight Traffic personnel, Vice President, Purchasing and other Purchasing personnel. Functions as a team member within the department and organization, as required, and performs any duty assigned to best serve the company.
- Maintain optimal inventory levels to meet customers’ needs. Monitor over-committed and urgent items. Increase inventory turns upon reaching full truckloads. Resolve slow moving and dead inventory issues. Consolidate low volume, slow turning items and vendors.
- Review over-committed, urgent items, buyer’s outs, stock adjustments, receiving discrepancies, and sales below cost reports. Negotiate buy brackets, inbound freight rates, backhaul dollars, cash discounts, extended terms, and earned income. Ensure costing and pricing accuracy, with special attention to changes, discrepancies, and customer audits.
- Process returns to vendors including entering vendor bill backs before merchandise leaves our buildings. Set up vendor bill backs with Vice President, Purchasing. Review monthly reports. Work with Accounts Payable to ensure that vendor bill backs are promptly billed and deducted.
- Assist accounting with invoicing customers for storage and finance charges on excess inventory.
- Communicate issues and solutions to Area Managers, customers, branch multi-unit account personnel, and receiving and shipping personnel. Act as key purchasing contact for Multi-Unit Account Managers and Executives. Act as key purchasing department contact for customers.
- Manage product quality issues such as recalls, etc. Monitor product expiration dates and ensure proper disposal of out-of-date products.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.