Job Title: Plant Manager
Plant Information: 30 FTE; Annual Output approximately 3.2mm US Gallons; Annual Revenue approximately $50MM
Manager: Chief Operations Officer (at this time)
Location: Tampa, Florida
Purpose & Scope:
Primary responsibilities are to manage and coordinate the daily activities of a manufacturing plant for a $700+ million specialty coatings manufacturer.
The specific plant is the 190,000 sq ft Coatings facility in Tampa Florida. Operations comprise 17 mixers feeding two fully automated fillers. The facility produces adhesives, clear and white latex coatings.
The groups within the department that will report to this position are Manufacturing/Plant Operations and Safety. This position is responsible for producing and meeting manufacturing deliverables from planning/scheduling to final production, in accordance with the company's established goals and guidelines. The Plant Manager has the authority to make decisions regarding the day-to-day activities of all groups in the Manufacturing area and this position directly reports to the Vice President of Manufacturing. This position is also responsible for directing the site safely, driving continuous improvement of the manufacturing process, keep operating procedures updated and for the development and mentoring of personnel in these assigned areas.
The Plant Manager should possess an advanced knowledge of the coatings industry, formulation, application testing and process scale up and stay abreast of emerging technologies. The Plant Manager has a track record and ability to manage, innovate, lead, and deliver on multiple product manufacturing programs with minimal supervision.
- Leads multiple concurrent projects in the development, manufacturing and quality control of various paints and applications with the ability to prioritize resources to deliver on schedule.
- Evaluate and recommend improvements in all manufacturing and storage systems including bulk storage, loading/unloading, and product dispensing in order to improve safety and quality.
- Improve and partner with R&D to develop current products in order to increase quality, reduce cost, meet product performance demands of sales/marketplace, and to comply with all regulatory and statutory requirements.
- Manage Capital projects with a history of integrating different product lines into a facility.
- Manage, coach and lead the manufacturing and operations departments in order to meet quality and quantity KPIs, budgets, deliverables, and maintain standards in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
- Ensure all chemical and other work-related issues are performed and products developed to meet various regulatory requirements (e.g., DOT, UL, etc.).
- Interface with various levels of the Company to support and participate in programs for International Organization for Standardization and Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S).
- Utilizes Excel and Word software to compile evaluation information, technical reports, and business correspondence. Experience with Sage ERP software is a plus.
- Assists in customer product support and product stewardship by interfacing with R&D, Customer Service and the Commercial Teams.
- Maximizes return and limits risks by developing and instituting appropriate internal controls.
- Provide consultative and analytic support on manufacturing issues to Company’s leadership.
- Perform financial analysis and coordinate strategic and process development initiatives with minimal supervision and guidance.
- Completes operational requirements by overseeing production schedules and staffing assignments in order to meet production demands and maintain adequate staffing and budget levels.
- Maintains and builds a manufacturing team by managing all Manufacturing/Operations managerial/supervisory personnel’s recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, and ongoing management of employees.
- Develops annual staffing requirements, budgets, scheduling calendars and daily/weekly/monthly activity objectives are met and/or exceeded.
- Ensures that each department within the Operations/Manufacturing groups are meeting all performance objectives and addresses deficiencies with immediate corrective actions.
- Maintains team performance results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Ensure manufacturing, scheduling, safety and product support effectively interact with all departments.
- Enhance employee morale to maintain non-union establishment.
- Continuously train, cross-train and upgrade employee skills on a departmental basis
- Ability to influence by example and ability to work with all levels of personnel.
- Duties as required or directed as necessary for achieving overall company goals.
- Plan and execute consolidation of a nearby 20,000 sq ft facility, manufacturing that manufactures solvent based coatings and sealants, into the core Tampa facility
- Ensure disruption to customers and employees from the transition is minimized and that safety, quality and production obligations are maintained
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing, engineering; MBA or Graduate degree highly desired.
- 10-15 years of experience in the specialty chemical/paint industry. (OR, batch manufacturing, batch polymerization)
- 10+ years of management and senior leadership experience in directing a high. performance, manufacturing team with measurable results and improvements.
- Lean Manufacturing Experience required
- Demonstrated success in plant scale-up of new products, and subsequent technical support of launched products.
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills.
- Must demonstrate strong verbal, written, and analytical skills as well as interact effectively with Manufacturing Manager, team leaders and team members.
- Proficient in Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, industrial, team environment.
- Ability to lead project meetings and give presentations to various sized groups of people.
- Highly motivated and self-starting individual with track record of meeting deadlines and achieving objectives.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage timelines and deliverables.
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media