Sr. Food Scientist (New Product Development)
Job Title: Senior Research Scientist
Summary: Utilizes technical knowledge and expertise of food sciences with ingenuity and scientific methods to accomplish corporate product or process objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as technical support liaison for product development project requests by communicating with representatives regarding development progress and feedback, communicating with other departments as necessary regarding the project, assisting with providing information necessary for customers, conducting product presentations and troubleshooting technical problems.
- Coordinates project activities by clarifying completion data target, price target and customer requirements, identifying the acceptable prototype target, developing timelines, identifying functions needed to be performed, designing and formulating the benchmark prototype, identifying specifications, obtaining approval and scaling up product in plant operation from bench prototype.
- Performs administrative duties by keeping records and lab notebooks, providing written and oral updates on projects, communicating with the corporate accounts group and research and development, recording results of analytical measurements and completing other documentation as required.
- Develops new product concepts by remaining current on literature and periodicals, attending conferences and seminars, maintaining contact with peers in the food industry and investigating new product ideas.
- Supervises personnel by assigning work to laboratory assistants, providing training, remaining current on project status and coordinating training and seminars for personnel.
- Conducts product demonstrations by assisting with the planning process, preparing products for display, making presentations and supporting other departments during the trade shows.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Minimum of seven years of food research/product development experience is required
- Yeast experience in a food manufacturing environment preferred
- Formulation experience in chemically leavened products preferred
- Experience in grain science and cereal chemistry preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency of principles required for successful R&D of food products.
- Proficiency of scientific principles and methods required to perform new product development.
- Strong project management skills
- Experience within retail product commercialization.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with food manufacturing facilities.
- Understanding of Stage Gate Innovation process a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of GMPs and AIB.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of associates and ranging from entry level to executive level positions.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, often with competing deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with limited direct supervision. Must be self-starter.
- Proficient use of computer and Microsoft software, PLM experience a plus
- Ability to travel up to 25%, post COVID-19.
- Consumer packaged goods product development experience a plus
- Experience analyzing consumer insights
- Ability to partner with Marketing teams on line extensions, competitive analysis and product line/capabilities gap analysis.
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media