Senior Controls Engineer
Senior Motion Controls Engineer is needed on a full time, permanent hire basis to design motion controllers for ultra-precision optical parts. Master’s degree is required; Ph.D. is preferred. Location is Swanzey, New Hampshire.
In this role, you will be responsible for the controls engineering design and support of ultra-precision machine systems for the electro-optics manufacturing industry. This position will apply Newtonian Physics to motion control problems, arriving at optimal solutions based on commercially available motion controllers, motors, amplifiers, and feedback products. Typical projects are a combination of new development, maintenance, and revision of existing applications. Company is small but developing innovative products.
What experience is needed?
- Thorough knowledge of the controls engineering discipline to be a Subject-Matter-Expert to the team
- Ability to conceptualize and engineer new, unique controls systems that meet customer requirements
- Ability to solve complex controls problems using accepted engineering practices
- Ability to lead and manage large and multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines, and effectively managing priorities and communicating progress
- Experience applying controls theory for servo tuning in both the time and frequency domain using Bode and/or Nyquist Analysis to maximize servo performance while maintaining robust stability
- Ability to identify disturbance sources and attempt to mitigate using servo gains and/or other damping techniques
- Conduct product design reviews and work directly with the engineering staff to develop cost effective solutions
- Write/publish papers and present at relevant conferences when mutually agreed upon with management
- Prepare and present detailed technical reports to management and staff
- Contribute to written instruction and operation manuals for products.
- Perform problem analysis and provide in-house technical support
- Help to achieve the completion of all projects within budget and on schedule
- Travel up to 10% of the time
- Perform other related duties as assigned in accordance with overall job responsibilities
What characteristics match the team’s?
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with everyone while maintaining professionalism
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to articulate ideas and concepts, capable of positive influence, and ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Utilize strong verbal and written skills to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues and clients at various levels
What is required?
- Master’s Degree in an Engineering discipline and a minimum of 7+ years of experience as a Controls Engineer in a complex motion control environment, such as robotics or precision positioning systems; or a Doctorate in Controls Engineering and minimum of 3+ years of work experience
- Masters’ Degree in an Engineering discipline
- Experience troubleshooting difficult problems both in a production environment and at customer sites
- Ability to travel up to 10% of time
What experience is even better?
- Doctorate in an Engineering discipline
- Experience in ultra-precision motion environment such as optics or semiconductor
- Experience with Delta Tau motion controllers
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media