Transportation Design Engineer
Our firm recognized leader in the construction industry, has an exciting opportunity available for a Transportation Engineer in Atlanta, Georgia or Birmingham, Alabama.
It will primarily support coordination between the managing team and our consultant engineering team on the design and construction of a large highway project to be delivered through a progressive design-build contract. This position requires expertise specific to the design and review of highway components including geometric layouts, drainage and hydraulics, erosion and sedimentation control plans, safety features, and maintenance of traffic.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Review analysis, design, and details of permanent highway components for compliance with AASHTO and State design criteria.
- Review analysis, design, and details of permanent highway components for compliance with design-build contractor’s preferences.
- Evaluate earthwork requirements with regards to material types, quantities, locations, haul distances, borrow and disposal sites, staging, and other criteria and develop conceptual highway geometrical layouts that best balance competing project needs
- Develop value engineering conceptual designs of permanent highway components including Draft Design Variances and Design Exceptions.
- Design temporary highway components (such as haul roads) used in the construction of the permanent highway components.
- Prepare appropriate analysis, calculations, details, plans, and reports as required to fulfill the responsibilities and duties above. Work product may be for internal use or for submittal to clients and will typically be sealed in accordance with the licensing laws and requirements of the state where the project is being executed.
- Perform quality control reviews of the plans, calculations, and other documentation prepared by other engineers employed by our firm or by external consultant engineers.
- Support preconstruction teams as needed by identifying and evaluating risks, vetting means and methods, brainstorming schemes, and exploring new technologies.
- Support operations teams by evaluating work that may be out of specification. Develop remediations for work performed by the firm. Review proposed remediations for work performed by subcontractors.
- Support legal and operations teams by providing expertise as necessary for dispute or claim resolution.
Education - Skills - Knowledge - Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or related field
- 8+ years of relevant engineering & design experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain Professional Engineering Licensure within 6 months of hire
- Experience designing to the requirements of AASHTO Green Book and AASHTO Roadside Design Guide and preparing Design Variances and Design Exceptions.
- Expertise in the use of InRoads, Microstation, and ProjectWise. Experience with OpenRoads is preferred
- Familiarity with Alabama DOT design manuals, guidelines, standards, and practices is preferred
- Solid engineering judgment and reasoning
- Ability to tactfully advocate professional opinion and elevate unresolved issues as needed to resolve conflicts
- Excellent interpersonal, oral communications, and written communications skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple internal teams while prioritizing to meet competing needs
- Innovative, entrepreneurial, and strategic attitude
- Proficient in MicroStation, Autocad, and/or other drawing software
- Willingness to travel, as it may be required
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media