Senior Field Engineer
We are seeking a Senior Field Engineer who will manage and perform field-testing projects in the electric power industry including utilities, generation plants, and industrial plants. This individual co-ordinates resources (personnel, equipment, schedules) for field testing apparatus such as generators, motors, isophase bus, transformers, circuit breakers, cables and accessories and generate professional reports. The successful candidate trains field engineers in testing theory and methods. The Senior Field Engineer will review data, apply diagnostics and generate professional reports for condition assessment projects and collaborate with sales team to define project scope for field-testing project proposals to clients.
This role will be based in our Marlborough, MA office reporting to the Director of Field Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Co-ordinate field-testing projects, including scheduling of manpower, equipment, and client communication.
- Perform field-testing of electric apparatus at locations including, but not limited to, utility companies, generation plants, and industrial plants.
- Perform EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) testing on motors, generators, isophase buses.
- Perform routine and special electrical testing of power and distribution transformers, voltage regulators, bushings and circuit breakers from different manufacturers (ABB, Siemens, Waukesha, SMIT and others).
- Perform PD Site Acceptance testing on transformers, generators and motors.
- Perform PD identification and localization on transformers, circuit breakers, switchgear, switchyards and Isophases.
- Perform Infrared Thermography of electric apparatus in power plants and substations.
- Perform routine and special tests on turbo and hydro generators (Siemens, GE, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Brush and others).
- Perform electrical data assessments for Condition Assessment projects and generate reports.
- Write technical reports and review data.
- Perform QA review of reports generated by Field Engineers.
- Assist Sales Department with scope definition for project proposals.
- Provide training on theory and testing to other Field Engineers as needed.
- Participate (write papers and make oral presentations) at conferences, seminars, and other related events in support of department objectives.
- Travel Required: Approximately 50%. This level can vary due to customer demand.
Bachelor’s degree Engineering, Electrical/Electronics/Power Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in substation, power plants, nuclear facilities or industrial power systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience operating and trouble-shooting test equipment used for off-line electrical apparatus tests.
- Minimum of 3 years field testing experience with transformers (including bushings, arrestors and CTs), generators, motors, and circuit breakers, particularly performing the following: Power Factor and Capacitance, SFRA, and EMI.
- Minimum 3 years of experience evaluating electrical test data from power apparatus for detailed apparatus condition assessment.
- Minimum 3 years of experience producing customer reports covering testing methodology, data analysis.
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing customer technical support (phone and written).
- US Citizenship Required.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE (Not Required):
- Military or industrial RF or Microwave communication experience.
- Radio amateur’s license.
- Experience with testing or maintenance of high voltage electrical systems in power plants or heavy industry.
- Experience with onshore and offshore petrochemical high voltage electrical systems.
- PD testing of HV apparatus.
- Acoustic Emission testing.
- Certified Infrared thermographer.
Login to create notifications on the jobs you’re looking for!
Have any questions?
Let’s get in touch
Share on popular social media